On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Gora Mohanty<g...@sarai.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:54:23 +0530
> Hakuna Matata <narender.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> If i create a user by useradd command and then login via FreeNX
>> then it is working fine, but now i am not able to figure out how
>> FreeNX will use FDS to authenticate users that are in FDS
>> database and not in /etc/passwd file.
> [...]
>
> Sorry, then what is not working with FreeNX? You will of course
> need to add users from some other system (like /etc/passwd) to
> the LDAP directory if that is going to be your new sole source
> of authentication.
>
> Regards,
> Gora

Hi

1. My users are in LDAP not in /etc/password.
2.  FreeNX is recognizing only localusers not the LDAP users for authentication.
3. I have 6 users with home directory on a single server and i want
all users to login to this server from there respective machine and
use the GUI.  (they have to have use gui for programming interface,
else ssh was really good and there was no pain. This is some sort of
windows terminal server setup with multiple profile and you can access
them with RDP.
4.Now FreeNX is not able to figure out how to login into the Server
with a specified user Name in LDAP. i have got someting
http://www.mpipks-dresden.mpg.de/~mueller/docs/suse10.1/suselinux-manual_en/manual/sec.freenx.advanced.html

please see 15.2.2..
FreeNX may not be able to auth directly against your LDAP server, but it
can authenticate against pam, and pam can in turn be configured to
authenticate against your LDAP server.

e.g freeNX-->PAM-->LDAP
PS:--- i might be conceptually wrong in this.

i am not freeNX sensitive but i do not know any other better tool. it
was working perfectly when i was not using LDAP.

And the intention of using LDAP is to remove MS ACtive Directory from org.

Suggestion/Advise most welcome

Best Regards