On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:03 PM, Smruti <smrutiman...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Anupam Jain <ajn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't know how many of you know about this but all NCERT books are now
> > available online through the NCERT website
> > http://www.ncert.nic.in/html/textbooks.htm.
> >

> Great Initiative by GoI.
>
> But I am just curious, what is it's use??

Practical -

Students can get them printed out in really tiny font on slips of paper to
be used at opportune moments during exams :) Or more seriously, read them on
their phones, carry them around on usb sticks, make corrections or add their
own notes, or customise the content to their own preferences. I know a lot
of these are not possible now , but this is a first step.

Philosophical -

For me buying NCERT books used to be a real pain.. Supply always used to
outstrip demand and unscrupulous vendors would sell previous year's books by
relabelling the price and year fields.. NCERT books need to be as free and
as widely accessible as possible and this is again a step in that direction.

Personal -

For better or worse, I have a sentimental attachment for the stuff I read in
my school days.. I really wish I had saved all those books (I didn't because
I hated them back then!).. The books have changed now and I have less
enthusiasm for these PDFs, but I'm sure they are valued by someone else, who
would be delighted to be able to save them in pristine form for a long time
to come..

-- Anupam