On Tuesday 18 Aug 2009, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 08/17/2009 05:59 AM, Raj Mathur wrote:
> > How about we restart with linux-india.org (I can put up a wordpress
> > or a drupal there) and see, over a period of 6 months or so,
> > whether the community is actually capable of maintaining it or not?
> >  If we are, we can start moving the process to retrieve linux.in
> > too.
>
> Sounds like a good idea. If anything is needed infrastructure wise, I
> could help. Beyond that, I think it might be worthwhile putting down
> some points as to what the target should / could be. There are a few
> people offering to help with content as well, if there is some
> direction we could have people take over responsibility for different
> things.
>
> One thing that I would love to see is a newsletter or a summary of
> 'stuff' linux related, perhaps done monthly. Another would be a
> directory of regional resources that new linux users  could be
> pointed at. Perhaps a 'blog' like resource that allows people to post
> articles into, and a wiki would be good ( for things like howto get
> online with the various isps' in the country, configs and other tips
> etc ).
>
> Even if we can get 10 - 12 people, contributing an hour or so per
> week, there is much that can be done :)

Fair enough.  We do need some measure of commitment from people who are
proposing to give content though -- any way to enforce that?  Reason I'm
asking is, if we spend the time and effort to setup the site and then
everyone backs off after a month, it's a sheer waste.  So all those
who're volunteering to add content, please send a Rs 1,00,000 bank
guarantee in the name of India Linux Users' Group, Delhi, encashable if
you don't deliver on your promises ;)

Seriously though, I've setup up a Wiki page where everyone who has ideas
about linux-india.org can put their ideas and, more important, lists of
contributors for sections of the site.  Note that you can sign in to
contribute to other peoples' sections too -- the more the merrier!  The
wiki page is at:

  http://wiki.linux-delhi.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Main/LinuxIndiaWebSite

Please also start filling up the guidelines for what sort of content
(not sections!) is and is not acceptable on the web site.  It would be
best to frame this as a series of questions that can be asked for each
item and answered with a simple yes or no, so there is no ambiguity
about whether any particular article meets the criteria or not.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/