Hi List,

Here are the three points I was making:--

(1) Point-1
@Neha:
>Also, thanks for that twitter/tinyurl explanation. It didn't make
>any sense
>at all. :-)

(and I am explicitly verbalizing this point-- because I feel it would help
you think-- in terms of designing solutions to problems-- I had assumed that
you/list would see the point and find it interesting-- just as I guess
Narendra must have subconsciously put together a chain of logic before using
tiny-url)

My poor-jokes apart; my point being--

(a) Beyond allowing for shorter URLs; even if the tiny-URL takes the same or
more characters; Tiny URL gives a layer of abstraction allowing a user to
create a reference to a URL.

(b) using tiny-url, a user can share a url-reference-- which can be
optionally de-referenced-- instead of sharing the actual URL.

(c) Given points (a) and (b)--- one can visualize a large number of
situations-- infact a entire category of situations--- both humorous and
practical-- where a user can benefit from sharing a reference to a URL
instead of the actual URL.

Narendra's answer--- share references to eduvid in his mail signature, so
that his mail-signatures are not indexed by google- and hence not mailed to
him in google-alerts--- is a example of a practical situation falling in the
above category (since google's crawler-bot index content as-is instead of
de-referencing tiny-urls before indexing them).

(2) Point-2
About search being different-- whether a user is logged-on OR not-- my
comments were based on much publicized interviews on google's strategy
towards personalized search-- by Google's vice-president of search products.

The person who first asked/mentioned this-- based their question on actual
observation of search results being different whether logged on or not.

(3) Point-3-- chrome versus others.

I would say- opinions of all of us on this are pure speculation-- but I
would deem my own views as a qualified opinion, rather than a random guess.
On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Kamal <kmli...@eficacy.com> wrote:

> Nalin Savara wrote:
>
> snip...
>
>> About browser specific searches; I beg to differ with Neha; it's very
>> much possible and definitely google would want chrome to have a
>> advantage---
>>

> Having an "advantage" that it hides from browsers other than chrome is
> pretty counter-intuitive for Google's business. Also, if their disclosures
> and
> public announcements (and i would want to add philosophy) can be
> believed, the first phrase that comes to mind is "Do no evil"!
>
> That's one way of saying it.

Another way of saying it is-- "a experimental public trial of a slightly
improved version of personalized search".

Anyways. I shared a opinion-- based on what I have seen, working in the IT
industry-- I am not going to argue further.
---

Best Wishes and Regards,

NS