On 02/10/09 3:06 PM, Pranith Kumar wrote:
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:46 PM, M.K.Pai<madhavprasad....@gmail.com>  wrote:
Hi,

I need your advice/ opinions/ rants/ whatever.

I would like buy a notebook. I think even a netbook will do. Please
let me know the most economical gadget given my needs which are

Whats important:

a. X should preferably not need closed-source hacks

b. I'd prefer networking that just works with the standard kernel

c. as long a battery life as possible - 3 hours at least, more if possible

d. should not heat up

e. lightweight

f. cheap, cheap, cheap :D

I picked an ASUS - 1000H after looking around a lot. The 6-cell version gives about 4-5 hours of operation with WiFi turned on. But the hard disk was 80GB as opposed to 160GB on the 4-cell option. Price was great, Rs.20,400/- inclusive of tax and 1 yr warranty.

Ubuntu works out of the box, no tweaks needed for display or any other devices. Web-cam, Wifi, Bluetooth, audio and special buttons all supported.

Hope this helps.

Cheers...Kishore
--
If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.