On Friday 20 Nov 2009, Gaurav Gehani wrote:
> i am not able to reduce brightness of my lappy. i tried lot of
>  searching but that didnt help me though. I downloaded hotkey but
>  that too is only showing that animation whn i press lower brightness
>  or upper brightness buton. Tried a lot. And this may be the reason
>  or any other but the battery back my laptop is giving is only 100
>  mins when I am running linux but it gives upto 200 min when i run
>  windows 7. Plz help i am using
> Dell studio 1555
> and lenny

If your native laptop brightness controls aren't working for some
reason, you can use xgamma to make your X display brighter or darker.

xgamma -gamma 0.5   <-- make screen dark
xgamma -gamma 1.3   <-- make screen bright

Play around with the numbers to get the ones that suit you.

> + one last but not the least issue i am facing is that my laptop has
>  got two jacks where i can plug my earphone/headphone. When i plugin
>  in the first one i dont hear anysound neighter in earphone nor from
>  pc spearkr. when i do it in second one sound keeps on coming from
>  the speaker and it comes in earphone too....

Sounds like the second one is the microphone jack, and the sound you're
hearing is a feedback loop between the mic and the speakers.  Try
plugging the headphones into the first jack and using a mixer app (kmix
in KDE) to unmute the headphone channel.

Regards,

-- Raju
--
Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/