On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Raj Mathur <r...@linux-delhi.org> wrote:

> On Friday 20 Nov 2009, Gaurav Gehani wrote:
> > i am not able to reduce brightness of my lappy. i tried lot of
> >  searching but that didnt help me though. I downloaded hotkey but
> >  that too is only showing that animation whn i press lower brightness
> >  or upper brightness buton. Tried a lot. And this may be the reason
> >  or any other but the battery back my laptop is giving is only 100
> >  mins when I am running linux but it gives upto 200 min when i run
> >  windows 7. Plz help i am using
> > Dell studio 1555
> > and lenny
>
> If your native laptop brightness controls aren't working for some
> reason, you can use xgamma to make your X display brighter or darker.
>
> xgamma -gamma 0.5   <-- make screen dark
> xgamma -gamma 1.3   <-- make screen bright
>
> Play around with the numbers to get the ones that suit you.

Tried this but it didnt change anything in brightness

 Gaurav:/home/gaurav# xgamma -gamma 0.5
-> Red  1.600, Green  1.600, Blue  1.600
<- Red  0.500, Green  0.500, Blue  0.500
Gaurav:/home/gaurav# xgamma -gamma 01.5
-> Red  0.500, Green  0.500, Blue  0.500
<- Red  1.500, Green  1.500, Blue  1.500
 brightness was same

> > + one last but not the least issue i am facing is that my laptop has
> >  got two jacks where i can plug my earphone/headphone. When i plugin
> >  in the first one i dont hear anysound neighter in earphone nor from
> >  pc spearkr. when i do it in second one sound keeps on coming from
> >  the speaker and it comes in earphone too....
>
> Sounds like the second one is the microphone jack, and the sound you're
> hearing is a feedback loop between the mic and the speakers.  Try
> plugging the headphones into the first jack and using a mixer app (kmix
> in KDE) to unmute the headphone channel.
>
> NO, it is not the mic one my laptop has got two jacks for headphone and one
for mike. Both the jacks of headphones are working fine in Windows but in
linux when i put it in second one both will work i.e headphone and speaker,
when i put it in first one none will work :( using gnome volume control have
unmuted everything ....

> Regards,
>
> -- Raju
> --
> Raj Mathur                r...@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/
>       GPG: 78D4 FC67 367F 40E2 0DD5  0FEF C968 D0EF CC68 D17F
> PsyTrance & Chill: http://schizoid.in/   ||   It is the mind that moves

Thanks & Regards,
Gaurav Gehani