On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:05:40 +0530, Anil Seth <seth.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 July 2010 19:51, Vivek Kapoor <subs...@exain.com> wrote:
>>
>> Wouldn't it create difficulty/corruption if two machines are trying to
>> download a package at the same time? I think the caching tools are
>> designed
>> to prevent that.
>
> Yes, it can have issues. For small networks, it is more of an
> occasional/potential nuisance. For my personal home needs it was not
> an issue.

There's a minor inconvenience in this approach even if we ignore the
simultaneous downloading of files part. You would still have to update the
package information (apt-get update) from Ubuntu repositories on all the
machines as that data isn't in /var/cache/apt/archives :-) It's 6MB+ from
what I can recall (if I exclude the sources).

Regards
Vivek Kapoor
http://exain.com