On 07/26/2010 02:28 PM, Sagar Belure <sagar.bel...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, apt-cacher* is just cache server.
But, I have to install it *individually* on two different systems for 32 and 64 bit systems.

Not sure what you mean by install it individually. You just install apt-cacher-ng `apt-get install apt-cacher-ng` on a single machine, and on each of the client machines you just create a file named 01proxy in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d having

Acquire::http { Proxy "http://xx.xx.xx.xx:3142";; };

where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP of the machine on which apt-cacher-ng is installed. That's all. You can also do the same on the apt-cacher-ng machine also.

On each client machine then run `apt-get update` and you're done. It doesn't matter it's 32bit or 64bit. Of course the firewall should be opened on apt-cacher-ng machine for tcp port 3142.

Did you see any message mentioning 32bit and 64bit there?

Like in Windows, WSUS caches the packages for almost all Windows product updates, doesn't matter if it's 32 or 64 bit, doesn't even matter if updates are for XP or Vista or Win7. So, all I'm asking if it's possible to achieve same kind of functionality in Ubuntu too?

Yes, these caching servers do just that. Irrespective of the architecture or even the distribution & version (atleast Ubuntu/Debian based).

Or do you want to have a complete ubuntu mirror on your machine? I don't think that would be a good idea.

[1]http://www.ubuntugeek.com/apt-cacher-ng-http-download-proxy-for-software-packages.html

It's too complicated a setup in the link above. Also, the writer is importing packages from /var/cache/apt/archives to prevent downloading them again - this is just for the first time. You may not need it at all.

Regards
Vivek Kapoor
http://exain.com