On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Ashish SHUKLA <wahjava...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sagar Belure writes:
> > On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Ashish SHUKLA <wahjava...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> sagar.bel...@gmail.com

> >> they

> download
> the

> use,
> >> so
> presented
> some

> >> some

> server
> >> obviously
> >>
> >> The file names of the downloaded packages have architecture mentioned in
> >> them,
> >> so you don't have to worry about 32-bit packages getting overwritten by
> >> 64-bit
> >> ones. And I used a single repository with apt-cacher and pkg-cacher.
> >>

> > Ok. By that, you mean, once I run 'sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get
> > upgrade' on repository-cache server(Ubuntu 10.04 amd64 desktop), provided
> it
> > has apt-cache-ng installed, will be able to fetch 32 bit debs too?
>
> I'm not sure about 'apt-cache-ng', never used it.
>
> > Or wait
>
> > How am I supposed to update repository-cache server?
>
> I used 'apt-cacher' and 'pkg-cacher' both of which act only when they
> receive
> an HTTP request from one of the clients. They're usually installed as a CGI
> binary, or as a standalone web-server. And when they receive a HTTP request
> for a file, they perform a cache look-up, and if the file is in cache, they
> serve it from cache, otherwise they initiate downloading from the source.
> The
> first time one of your client updates itself, a 'cache miss' will happen
> and
> the packages will be downloaded. And for subsequent updates, the packages
> are
> served from the cache.

Ok. That was very clear and neat. Thank you.

AFAICS, installation with 'apt-cacher-ng' on the systems seems the same way,
looking at the configuration page by browsing
http://localhost:3124/acng-report.html

And yes, Vivek seems right, that apt-cacher-ng uses cache located at
/var/cache/apt-cacher-ng/_import.
Now, I'm hoping importing already downloaded packages from
/var/cache/apt/will be all fine.

--
Thanks,
Sagar Belure