On 03/21/2011 03:36 PM, Sudhanwa Jogalekar <sudhanwa....@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Arun Khan<knu...@gmail.com>  wrote:
<snip>

IIRC, the Indian Telecom authority does not allow PSTN gateways on a
VoIP network.  Things may have changed in recent months.

 From your OP it looks the PRIs  channels are associated with "local"
phone numbers.  Please check with the relevant govt. dept. before you
jump into a VoIP implementation --- and share whatever you find out.

+1

You can go for official permission to integrate VOIP with the normal
DOT lines/exchanges. Authorities charge heavily for it,  but it is
possible.

Integrating VOIP with PRI/EPABX/PBX etc is illegal.

Do you happen to have any references of it being illegal - specially having it as PBX?

From what I'm aware, the primary concept behind the law is preventing toll bypass, which I don't think is happening in Niyaz's case as he mentioned the calls are incoming calls. Even if it was outgoing, it was happening via the PRI, so there also no toll bypass is happening. I don't recall which document it was, but I interpreted it as PBX being allowed, and if the company has multiple locations in India, then PBX over VPN was also permitted.

I've always found VOIP in India be a gray area, and have never been able to figure out what's legal and what's not. Would be glad if you've some conclusive documents/links.

Regards
Vivek Kapoor
http://exain.com