Hi,

Basically what is illegal to do in terms of VoIP is to say have a
PSTN/ISDN line plugged into your voip server and then lease that out
to somebody over IP. In effect selling it as a DID number over IP.
Most other cases are perfectly legal. There's tons of EPABX systems
being sold from vendors like Simens, NEC, etc for years. You plug in
an outside line, which could be PSTN or ISDN and distribute calls to
your extensions (either through IP or TDM). For IP, these systems
(Siemens for eg) come with some sort of a LAN card, which lets you
plugin that massive EPABX box on to your LAN switch and route all
incoming traffic to your softswitch (Asterisk for eg) and then
distribute calls to extensions which maybe IP phones or softphones.

> You can go for official permission to integrate VOIP with the normal
> DOT lines/exchanges. Authorities charge heavily for it,  but it is
> possible.

There is NO offical permission required. You apply to a provider, who
will take some documents from you and do whatever is required in terms
of dealing with authorities like TRAI for whatever obligations there
maybe. There is NO special license required and certainly NO extra
fees. You just pay your provider, the same way you pay for your
internet connection.

Disclaimer: I'm no legal expert but I just got a PRI line from Airtel,
so I've been through the 'process'.

>  From what I'm aware, the primary concept behind the law is preventing
> toll bypass, which I don't think is happening in Niyaz's case as he
> mentioned the calls are incoming calls. Even if it was outgoing, it was
> happening via the PRI, so there also no toll bypass is happening. I
> don't recall which document it was, but I interpreted it as PBX being
> allowed, and if the company has multiple locations in India, then PBX
> over VPN was also permitted.

My assessment too is exactly this.

> I've always found VOIP in India be a gray area, and have never been able
> to figure out what's legal and what's not. Would be glad if you've some
> conclusive documents/links.

The best I could find was a document on TRAI's website, which was also
pretty dated and worded in an almost self-conflicting manner.
There really should be more official clarity on this.

Regards
Gurteshwar