Raj, Your approach is what I had in mind to distribute VMs to the interns.
However they are supposed to take care of deploys on Lower Environment, and
hence they some how obtain the root privilege. I guess I ll have to drive a
sanity check for this once !

2011/6/8 Gora Mohanty <g...@mimirtech.com>

> 2011/6/8 Ashish SHUKLA <ashish...@lostca.se>:
> [...]
> >> So will any of these solutions work when the user is logged in as root?
> >
> >> In general, how are you going to prevent root from destroying your
> >> system?

In general I dont want to tweak any of the root privileges,  I still want
root to do anything under the Sun.

However Ankit's point is quite valid, fork bomb cam be prevented by setting
a limit on number of processes by any user! I think I am gonna try that
approach.

Our other systems using BoKS successfully are able to limit users from
executing certain commands. For example if I (as amarakshat) become root and
want to change other user's password (eg, rajmathur), it wont allow. However
In my department we do not have such software !

> > % getent passwd root
> > root:x:65535:65535:root:/root:/bin/sh
>
> I was going to suggest the L33T toor user, but had refrained.
>
> > Or, maybe SELinux :)
>
> Have never understood SELinux: Isn't there only one command:
>   setenforce 0
>
> Regards,
> Gora

Amar Akshat
Wells Fargo

"Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and Halloween because Oct31 ==
Dec25."