On Monday 28 May 2012, Gora Mohanty wrote:
> On 28 May 2012 23:27, Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) <r...@linux-delhi.org>
> wrote: [...]
> [snip]
> >> Should normally not be needed, as all the webapp has
> >> to do is to hand off to sendmail/postfix. However, this
> >> might be a problem if the webapp is sending
> >> <shudder>HTML mail</shudder>, and is taking time to
> >> render this abomination. Sad to say, I am now party to
> >> such desecration of what god meant email to be.
> >
> > Different problem.  This delay is definitely due to the mail
> > server.
>
> Even after he fixed hostname issues? Sorry, while I do
> joke about such things, I do appreciate being educated.
> I *am* serious here.

Whether you're handing off to a sendmail process, or making a port 25
connection to localhost (or your smart host), your web app will
typically wait until either sendmail returns or the receiving MTA has
successfully sent a "250 2.0.0" response back.  There could be any
number of things slowing down the mail server.  Some examples:

1. 'net-based spam/virus checks.

2. Slow DNS.

3. Slow 'net connectivity.

4. Lack of separation into MSA/MTA.

5. Load on the system itself.

6. Some bad configuration option.

You really need to look at each individual case and figure out where the
bottleneck is.

Regards,

-- Raj
--