On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Mohit Singh <gmohitsi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have really started a mission to FOSSify complete B.Tech. CS labs
> from first to fourth year. We want a full-fledged running GNU/Linux
> system on each computer. We want to utilize a distro which may run
> even on modest hardware with full support for software development
> projects of B.Tech.

Great endeavor.

> So I am really talking about replacing Oracle with MySQL and Visual

IMO, postgreSQL is a more comparable product to Oracle.

> Studio with ***** (something still under search - C,Java,JDBC with
> MySQL,JSP will be used mostly).

There are many, as others have suggested.   Provide as many that you
can, within the constraints of RAM requirements.

> GLUG Meerut wanted this to happen and finally our chairman has given
> us the green signal. I ask all the FOSSouls to help us do this. We are
> going to ask many questions and solve many for the organizations
> similar to us.

Great.  Also please post the progress, the lessons learnt (pitfalls) -
preferably in a blog.

I would also suggest to consider a study to implement a private cloud
with your existing hardware resources.

-- Arun Khan