Hi
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I talked to Jono Bacon about
these concerns, he informed me that a redesign is underway and there
will be a site dedicated to the community. You can read more about
this here [1]

He also explained why ubuntu.com has no direct link to debian.org ,
from the IRC conversation logs :

<jono> the target demographic of ubuntu.com are folks who want to
learn about the functional benefits of ubuntu, so they are unlikely to
go to the Debian homepage
<jono> so the link is better served on the community pages
<jono> which is what we are working on right now

You can find the whole conversation available on [2] once the logs are updated.

Regards
Rohan Garg

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityWebsite
[2] http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/04/30/%23kubuntu-devel.html