Our G4 iMac HD crashed but not before I backed it up to external HD using carbon copy cloner. Now the iMac is returned with a new HD and a fresh copy of OS X 10.2.8 installed. The apple genius tried to restore stuff from the original HD and made a folder that contains about 30% of what was there. (Didn't, for instance, capture Quickbooks or some other important apps)

However, the backup on external HD seems complete.

I'm looking at all this and wondering what's best to do.
Has anyone been through this procedure and have a checklist on what to do in what order? I'm thinking: boot from external HD and run CCC and tell it to Restore everything except the OS (which is fresh on the new HD). THen see how everything including all the apps run and whether important docs are working ok.
IF so, then no sweat.
If not, I may have to wrestle around with what the genius backed up.

DOES CCC in restore mode restore all the application preferences, for instance?
Anything else I should watch out for?

Thanks for any help...
-don

-donald henry hinkle