Hi Don

        I Have never used CCC but have some thoughts

On 7 Jan 2006, at 19:58, Don Hinkle wrote:

Our G4 iMac HD crashed but not before I backed it up to external HD using carbon copy cloner.

If CCC does what it sounds like it should do then you ought to be able to use the cloned drive as a startup

Now the iMac is returned with a new HD and a fresh copy of OS X 10.2.8 installed.

Connect the drive and go to system prefs startup disc, see if you can startup from the clone.

The apple genius tried to restore stuff from the original HD and made a folder that contains about 30% of what was there. (Didn't, for instance, capture Quickbooks or some other important apps)

What? did he mount your disc and choose restore?

However, the backup on external HD seems complete.

If it seems complete can you not copy the items you require to the new HD?

Good Luck
John