On Jan 19, 2006, at 9:58 PM, Mark Falzon wrote:

Does anyone know if
you can use windows keyboards and mice with a ps-2 to usb converter for
these machines?

I've been using a Belkin branded one of these adaptors for some time and it has worked very well. The only thing I've noticed is, when I need to use a start up key sequence (c to boot from CD or shift to boot in safe mode, whatever) it doesn't always recognize the key as being held down. My guess is the adaptor isn't always initialized in time (sometimes it does work, so it may also have something to do with the exact timing of when I press the keys versus when the adaptor is initialized).

What I really like is, no drivers are needed. It just works. And it works with at least OS 9 and OS X (haven't tried it with earlier than OS 9).

The Belkin sells for about $25-$30 at most computer supply stores (or similar stores). Keep in mind, at that price, it may be the same cost to just get a cheap PC USB keyboard and mouse, as those work just as well (and don't suffer from the problems of startup keys not being recognized). In my case, I wanted to include the Mac in a PC KVM, so I specifically wanted PS/2 support... you may have a similar desire (if so, it works very nicely in my KVM setup).

I have on order some cheaper generic branded adaptors, but they haven't arrived yet so I can't say if they work (these were $12 each from MCM Electronics). My guess is they will also work, as I can't imagine there is much more than one chipset being used in all the brands out there (ie: the guts are probably the same as the Belkin one I have)

>Also, can the RAM be upgraded to 512 MB?  Applespecs say
>they will only take 2 128 MB RAM chips.

I've not had luck getting my 333 to see more than 256 MB of ram. Even when using a G4 upgrade card that I was under the impression would allow up to 512 MB. I have had success getting 2 different 233 models working with 512 MB, but a 3rd 233 would only work with 384. These were all Rev A models.

It seems to be pretty hit or miss if it will work with 256 MB chips. I thought I figured out a pattern at one point, but that was thrown out when I moved known working chips from a 233 into machines that wouldn't work, and they still wouldn't work.

If you want to try it, I'd either be sure to buy from a place you can return the chips for a full refund, or better yet, borrow from a friend with the plans to buy them new chips if it works for you (and I'd recommend buying new for them, as once you have it working, I'd stick with the known working chips)

-chris
(typed on my brand new Intel iMac :-) )