First thing I'd try would be replacing the PRAM lithium battery, especially
if you are the original owner and have never replaced the battery.

Easy enough to do. Flip the iMac over, open the access door and you can see
the battery inside. 'Sometimes' rotating the battery in the holder (to
build up heat which can build up a charge, of sorts) will get you by until
you can get a new battery, available at radioshack-type stores. Be sure to
check the expiration date on the bubble pack as some stores don't rotate
their stock and you can end up paying full price for a 3-year old battery
that is set to expire in less than six months.

peg
.

--
 "it must be said that Palestinians have behaved as all colonized people in
  history have behaved towards the colonizer: they rebelled in protest."