From: Peter Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If it hadn't been for a settlement, I'd still be using recycled Macs; yeah, it isn't like you spread out the $79 a month over 365 days, it's the lump chunk that can murder a tight budget. Reminds me of the people who have privilege and don't realize that privilege is not a universal.

I'm very aware that different people have very different levels of income. But there's another expression that comes to mind when people talk about how they can't afford an $80 purchase made PERHAPS as often as once a year.

That expression is "penny-wise and pound-foolish."

Obviously if you're living on very tight funds, then most of this discussion is moot for you anyway. But if you become aware of software that can do something that you desire to do or need to do or can make money doing, then it's certainly worth your time to investigate it and determine if its purchase would justify its expense.

Unless you are in a situation where your income and expenses are VERY closely matched, I really have a hard time imagining that $80 perhaps as often as once a year in a non-third-world country is going to "break" you financially, particularly given that said expense can be purchased whenever YOU want, not by a particular deadline.

To put some perspective on this, smokers spend more than $80 PER MONTH supporting their habit. Two weeks of lunches at McDonald's could run that much. For many of us, that's less than two tankfuls of gas, less than we pay each month for telephone service, less than our cable TV bill. Take your spouse and two kids to the cinema and see if you can get through the experience spending substantially less than $80.

If I *really* thought iLife (or some other program costing a comparable sum) would improve my computing experience or help me make money or just give me hours of enjoyment as I learn and utilize it, then it's (modest) cost is more than worth whatever SMALL sacrifice I might need to make to afford it (oh dear, I'll have to bring sandwiches to work twice a week this month!).

If you're truly in a position where $80 could ruin you, then what on EARTH are you doing wasting your money on a computer and internet access, which easily has an annual Cost of Ownership in the HUNDREDS of dollars if not much more! You can buy a deck of cards to play solitaire! :)

Cheers
Chas