On Aug 29, 2008, at 2:54 PM, Bill Brock wrote:

> Do you if I can then use my macbook discs to install the operating
> system on the machine through a external DVD-rom after i swap the hd
> and ram?

Two issues you will run in to.

1: The install discs for a specific machine only work with that
specific machine. So you can't use the MacBook one to install on a
Bondi iMac.

2: You need to boot from the install disc, and the Bondi iMac only
has USB 1 and doesn't support booting from it. So there is no way to
boot the Bondi iMac from an external DVD.

What you CAN do is pull the hard drive out of the bondi and then do
the OS install using a supported machine to the hard drive connected
to said supported machine as an external drive. Then put the drive
back in the Bondi.

However, this method may still fail for you because you have a
MacBook, which is Intel based. The Bondi is PPC based. I don't know
what happens when you try to take an Intel install of OS X and run it
on a PPC machine. Someday I'll give it a whirl to find out, but I
kind of suspect it won't work (I don't know how "Universal" the OS
installs are when it comes to crossing chips).

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>