Hi Judith ,
This is my first responce I grew up a PC user , and just recently got into macs
The Apple store will transfer your files for free(if you purchase from them)
and compatability and impact all depends on what specific files or programs
your talking about , moving from OS9 to OSX (or OS10) was a big step for apple
so Id expect there to be some issues I had no problems with minor stuff like
word documents but again you need to be a little specific like Quicktime movies
videos , documents programs Im sure theyred be major compatability issues with
OS9 and Leopard (currently installed on every mac ) Hope that helps :)
Brayden