On Jan 25, 2009, at 7:33 PM, Kathy K wrote:

> I have an iMac G3, graphite 500 mhz, 128mb, and 30g harddrive.
>
> It is currently running OS 10.3 only.
>
> Is it possible to reinstall and add OS 9 back on it? Or classic? I
> haven't messed with this iMac for awhile and have forgotten the ins
> and outs of OS9/OSX installs. I do have two other old G3s, but we are
> making some trades. Now we want to set this one up for my youngest to
> play old OS 9 games on CD. It would be nice to leave OS X on there as
> well, if possible.
>
> And though the machine probably needs more ram, I don't plan to do
> that. Not interested in opening it up or investing more $ in it.
>
> Also, while I'm at it... at one time I had an ethernet/usb adapter on
> this thing. The ethernet port was broken on it when I bought it (a
> steal at $25 several years ago). I bought an adapter online that
> worked great, but after awhile the adapter broke (poorly designed). I
> since bought a different adapter... but could never get it to work.
> Any other ideas out there for getting this G3 online without an
> ethernet port?
>
> Kathy K

The best/easiest way to set it up for a new user is to boot from an OS
9.1 or preferably OS 9.2 CD, wipe the hard drive, initialize it for
HFS Extended, and use Disk Utility to check the hard drive for bad
sectors. lf Disk Utility finds bad sectors, replace the hard drive. If
it doesn't, then you can install OS 9.x. Then run Software Update
until there are no updates. Then set all your preferences in Control
Panel. Finally, install all of the OS 9 programs and games.

Once you've got OS 9 squared away, insert the OS X disk and install OS
X. Run Software Update until there are no more to install. Then set
your preferences. Finally, attempt to launch an OS 9 program. This
will start Classic. Complete the dialogue and set your Classic
preferences. Note that you can set Classic to launch when the computer
starts up. If you do this, then it makes perfect sense to put favorite
OS 9 aliases on the OS X desktop. That makes for a pretty seamless and
almost transparent ability to use OS 9 and OS 10 programs at will
without a bunch of switching back and forth and waiting for OS 9/
Classic to launch. I set a room full of G3e iMacs up this way at a
local elementary school lab, and the lab instructor is quite happy
with the kids' ability to surf via Firefox or Safari and use old OS 9
programs without any trouble or problems.

As for getting it online without an ethernet port, you can use an
original Airport card (with G3 iMac adapter), or buy another USB/
ethernet adapter. I'll leave other suggestions to the fine members on
this list.

Good luck and have fun!

-- Jim