On Apr 19, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Owen Strawn wrote:

> So if I replace it with a known good fan, it might work or it might
> not.
>
> Dang.

Yep. That's why tinkering with Macs is called a hobby. If it works,
you get the glory. If it doesn't work, you've eliminated a major
source of the problem. Then you've nothing left to do but to do a
continuity and impedance test on the three wires from the fan at the
connector to their termination in the multiconnector that fits into
the connector on the logic board. If the wires are OK all the way to
the multiconnector, then the problem lies in the connector and/or
circuitry on the logic board.

But since the original fan is getting enough juice to make it want to
start, my experience suggests that a known-good fan will solve the
overheating problem. Then there's experimentation. One trick I use is
to put one or two drops of very light oil on the fan's bearing. This
usually involves peeling back the label enough to get the oil directly
on the bearing and shaft end.  I then spin the blades by hand to let
the oil work its way in. More often than not, a recalcitrant fan will
spring back to life. This can last anywhere from only a short time to
indefinitely.

Cheers!