BMRR wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have an old eMac that I'd like to put back into service. It's taking
> up space, and I can't bear to part with it, so why not make use of it?
> It's got a G4 processor (1 GHz I think?), and I think the RAM is
> either 512MB or 768MB... maybe even 1GB but I can't remember for sure.
> It currently has OS 9 installed, but I know it's capable of running OS
> X because that's what it originally came with. Unfortunately I've
> moved twice in the past two years and the OS X install discs got lost
> amid all the moving, and I definitely can't afford to replace them.
>
> So my question is:
>
> Are there any versions of Linux that are user friendly (relatively
> speaking!), easy to install, and will run WELL on this machine?
> Something along the lines of Ubuntu would be perfect. I know there are
> several distros that will "technically" run, but I would want one that
> fully supports everything... audio, video, USB, etc... and isn't
> buggy. A friend of mine tried a couple of different Linuxes on his old
> "Jade" iMac G3, and they ran ok but the audio didn't work and the
> video didn't support full resolution.

I've installed Debian 5, Fedora 9 and Yellow Dog 5 (I think it is) on
various G3s.  I have had both Debian and Fedora playing music although
you have to install an MP3 library but before you can you have to figure
out that you do need it and what it is.  I've played video on them but
they are too slow for decent playback, your iMac should be okay.  I
haven't used YDL as much as the others but have probably had more
trouble with it.  Between Debian and Fedora I'd have to call it a toss
up between the two.

I've avoided Ubuntu as they've dropped support of the PPC.  I think it's
still un-officially supported but...

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA