Thanks for the into. I have Ubuntu installed on a PC and it couldn't
have been easier... all I did was run the installer and *bam* it just
works. I didn't have to configure a single thing. I guess I was hoping
that something similarly easy would be available for the eMac. I found
a web page from 2006 that described how to install YDL and Ubuntu on
an eMac, but it involved a lot of hacking and file editing and
whatnot... I'd rather not go down that road, if at all possible. :-\

I looked on eekbay for OS X 10.3 and 10.4 discs, and they all seem to
be running in the $70-$100 range... which, ironically, is about the
same price as a used eMac with OS X pre-installed. So that's out of
the question, unfortunately. (Unless anyone knows of a vendor that
sells "old" OS X discs for a reasonable price?!)

I'd be just as happy to stick with OS 9, but the lack of a modern web
browser makes it a no-go...

Adrian