I checked out some Linux forums and found a lot of horror stories from
folks who tried to install YDL, Fedora, and Debian on their eMacs. The
universal theme from each story was that the install seemed to go
well, and then when the install was complete, the screen went "black"
and that was it. I guess none of these distros like to play nicely
with the video chip in the eMac... especially the ATI chip in the
second and third generation eMacs.

I found one forum posting from a person who said that he tried several
distros and that OpenSUSE was the only one that worked... so I checked
out the OpenSUSE site, but their PowerPC distros are only available in
DVD format or network install. Net install isn't an option for me, and
DVD install is a no-go because this machine doesn't have a DVD drive.

Are there any other non-scary Linux distros that will work with this
machine? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I sure would like to get a
couple more years out of this machine before I have to recycle it.

Thanks again,
Adrian