Does it ask for a password and username? If it's the actual os login,
if you boot from the installation disc, there's an option to reset the
password in one of the drop down menus at the top.
If the prompt comes up earlier than that, it could be a firmware
password (not sure a uni would bother with that though) and I can't
remember how to get them off, someone else will though!