This is weird.
I have had three files on my Desktop at right, below my hard drive icon.

One image, one .PDF, and one TextEdit document. Two of them have only been
there for a few days. The third has been there for a few hours.

I moved 2 of them to the left side of the screen and threw the other one in
the Trash.

BUT I can still see the icons like postage stamps, faintly grey and
outlined, but definitely still there and clear enough to read the titles of
the documents that wee there.

Using the Desktop System I turned the screen solid white and they went away.
Then I turned the Desktop solid green and the ghost icons are back. And now
there is a ghostly window in the middle of my screen that appears to be a
faint Yahoo mail window from what I can see of it !!

Restart and nothing changes !! Ghost icons still there...

24-inch 2.8 Intel Extreme.