Sounds like screen burn-in... But I don't think I've ever heard of it
happening that fast. Was your screen on for unusually long periods of
time while those files were on the desktop and the Yahoo window was
open?
I'm not quite sure how you'd go about fixing screen burn-in; but since
it's the pixels retaining the electrical currents that make the image,
you might keep a solid color background for a while, and see if that
helps.
It sure sounds like you just have a faulty display; if your Mac is
less then a year old, Apple will probably fix it under the 1-yr
warranty.
To prevent this from happening in the future, set the screen saver to
start after 10-20 minutes, and the display to sleep after a while,
too. This helps prevents screen burn-in. Although, It is weird that it
would be happening to you so quickly, and on a Mac that's not that
old. I had thought they'd improved the displays so that that didn't
happen as often... It was more common with the old CRT screens then
with LCD screens. That's why I think you might have a faulty display.
Hope that helps...

        -Elliott Price
Mac Computer Repair - Santa Barbara
Graphic Design - Artwork Setup