On Oct 2, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Cliff Rediger wrote:

> I've set up a iMac M5521  running 10.4.11 with 1 gig ram
> with intention of running
> WeatherTracker http://www.afterten.com
>
> and gathering data from an Oregon Scientific weather station WMR968.
>
> The WMR968 has a serial port (9pin)
> so I bought a serial/usb adapter.
>
> Weather Tracker does not "see" the port.
>
> In the select a port window it provides only a "modem" option.
>
> Of course, this could be a WeatherTracker issue
> but I haven't been able to either connect with WT via e-mail
> or get authorized to post on their very low volume user forum.
>
> So, I'm asking here:
> Are there known issues or incompatibilities with what I'm trying to
> do?
> Any suggestions and all comments appreciated.

Hmm...is the serial cable you're using to connect to the USB/serial
adapter a null-modem cable? Have you tried the 'modem' connection?
Serial connections can be a PITA to figure out.

Are you certain the USB/serial connector is working? Hard to do, of
course, with only a single serial device.

Get the venerable Zterm <http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/> and
poke at it yourself; see at least if you can establish communications
with the weather station. This will help diagnose whether it's a cable
+driver problem or a Weather Tracker problem. If you can connect to
the weather station with Zterm, then it's definitely a weather tracker
issue.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona