> So, FYI, if you're going to try the capacitor replacement trick, you'd
> better do it while the iMac's still able to chime, boot and run, even
> if only briefly. Otherwise, you're very likely going to be left with a
> substantial pile of usable parts, and good capacitors that have to be
> removed (aaaarrrggghhh!).

Hey Jim,

Thanks for all the advice. The iMac I've got only has three bulging
caps on the PSU, so I'm hoping the logic board is still good (although
it does have the bad Nichicon capacitors).

Light 3 does not come on, so that does not give me much optimism, but
I think I still may go ahead and try for the repair anyway. I picked
up the iMac at a local university auction for $20, and the screen
looks clean (although I have yet to see it on) and it came with 2GB of
RAM, so if worst comes to worst I guess I can just part it out.

I think before I really try any capacitor replacement, I'm going to
look around locally and see if I can borrow someone's good power
supply. Just to check—putting in the power supply won't risk damage to
my iMac or their PSU, correct?

I'd really love to get this bad-cap-iMac up and running. $20 was a
deal that was just too good to pass up, and it's just such a nice-
looking computer.

Again, thanks for putting your experiences on here, Jim. I'll update
you all with what happens to my iMac.