On Oct 5, 2009, at 4:55 PM, Isaac Smith wrote:

>> So, FYI, if you're going to try the capacitor replacement trick,
>> you'd
>> better do it while the iMac's still able to chime, boot and run, even
>> if only briefly. Otherwise, you're very likely going to be left
>> with a
>> substantial pile of usable parts, and good capacitors that have to be
>> removed (aaaarrrggghhh!).
>
> I think before I really try any capacitor replacement, I'm going to
> look around locally and see if I can borrow someone's good power
> supply. Just to check—putting in the power supply won't risk damage to
> my iMac or their PSU, correct?

There are no guarantees of anything in life, of course (my
disclaimer). But I swapped a "bad" but re-capped power supply into a
"good" re-capped iMac, and a "good" re-capped power supply into a re-
capped "bad" iMac and nothing untoward or "bad" happened. (And nothing
"good" happened either.) As the saying goes, YMMV (your mileage might
vary).

See my reply to Irena and Richard Jenkins on a related subject for
more tips.

-- Jim Scott