i've had problems seeing the complete site i.e. it often appears like raw
text before css formatting is applied.  by any chance do you use a hosts
file and/or Little Snitch and/or netbarrier and/or certain blocked cookies
in any of your browser settings?  I have alot of the galldarned
cookie-setting ad sites blocked in various of these mentioned above and I
think it might possibly sometimes have something to do with those ....
that's my best guess based on my own experiences w/ this stuff. I also use
camino and firefox with addons like adblock, flashbock and noscript to block
crap and bad things and I believe a combo off all these affect poorly
designed overly complexified site features like those at msnbc.

let us know if you think this is also part of your 'beneath the hood'
experience -- and good luck!