On Nov 10, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Art wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2009, at 10:52 AM, Dan wrote:
>> And check out NetNewsWire - learn how to use RSS feeds.  As you find
>> news sources that seem interesting, throw the RSS feed (feed://etc)
>> at NetNewsWire.  Then you'll see the new articles in a clean easy to
>> read list!  It's MUCH faster than visiting individual web sites!
>
> Just curious here -- I have my RSS feeds coming directly into Mail
> (they're listed at the bottom under the mailboxes or I can choose to
> have any/all shown in the Inbox); is there some advantage to using a
> separate program, e.g., NetNewsWire for this purpose? Thanks!

Net News Wire allows a variety of customizations, and if you register
with Newsgator (the publisher of NNN) you can have your RSS feeds
automatically synched between all your devices, so you can read them
on any computer or mobile device (there's an NNN version for the
iPhone/iPod Touch) and not have to wade through dupes, etc.

Other than that it's merely a matter of personal preference. I really
liked RSS in Safari until I tried NetNewsWire; I'd been unimpressed
with the feeds in Mail, they seemed slower and clumsier to use.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona