Dennis Faulkner wrote:
> On a related note, I am not an expert - I was told recently that I had to
> retire my beloved AFGA scanner, because the USB ports on the back of my
> Intel-chip IMac seem to be shorting out - every time I restart, I get the USB
> overlimit message, stating the port will be deactivated - I have to unplug
> all USB stuff, then restart, then plug USB stuff back in again, all USB ports
> act the same when this happens. I was told this was a problem with USB 1,
> that USB 1 stuff seems to short out the USB ports?  Is this expensive to
> replace these USB ports on my IMac?  I finally went with an all in one HP
> officejet 6500, the wired version.

I've mixed and match lots of USB 1 and 2 devices on computers with USB 1
and 2 ports.  I've occasionally run into over current warnings but never
  anything that couldn't be explained by a bus powered hub or some bad
USB device.

I suspect you have one bad piece of USB hardware that's causing trouble.

It's also problem you are having a problem with your USB ports but
that's unlikely.  You could try doing a PMU reset.

You can't replace the USB ports on the iMac, you'd have to replace the
whole logic board.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA