It definately isn't USB1 that is causing the problems... it's the
person who told you that.
it is that the Scanner is drawing too much power (I'm assuming that it
doesn't have a power adapter of some sort?)
Try plugging it into a POWERED Usb hub, should fix the problem right
then and there.
I've had that happen many times, and adding a powered hub has always
fixed it because the device just needs more power, and Scotty's
already giving it all it's got.