HW: MacBook 2 GHz Core2Dou 1 GB RAM (667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
SW: OS X 10.4.11; CD Doctor Spin 1.5.1, Toast 5.2 and 9

I started experiencing a weird behaviour of Toast when I transferred kids
audio cassettes to CDs (as a favour to a friend). Some tapes (2-3) were done
with no issue (digtize with CD Doctor Spin 1.5.1, defined tracks, saved the
defined tracks file, dragged the tracks to Toast, burned CD).

However, after those 2-3 successful transfers, I'm hitting a brick wall -
both Toast versions behave in almost the same way: when I drag a defined
track (any) into Toast, I get the following messages...
- Toast 5.2: Mac OS error - Result Code=6515
- Toast 9: 'File' is not a sound file, or is not in a supported format.

I looked at the files, all (whether succeeded in transfer or not) are saved
as 'CD Spin Doctor TEXT' with the suffix '.aiff', and play-back within CD
DS.
Repeating the process (of dragging into Toast) for the successful transfer
works OK, but not for those that started to fail, no matter what I tried
(restart, dump Toast and re-install, quit and launch).
If I try to import directly into Toast, then the whole raw file is imported
as one track, disregarding the defined tracks, which is not what I intended
to do.
This could be a work around, but is not desirable.

Any idea what went wrong? Any idea where I can start looking into what went
wrong?
Are there any alternatives to CD DS and/or Toast? Free preferred (I'm out of
a job).

Thanks,
N Shani
Ottawa, ON