Hi,

If you have a Western Digital Hard Drive inside in that iMac, that
problem will arise.  There is an issue with certain firmware versioins
on the slot loader iMac G3s that would conflict with 6-80gb Western
Digital Caviar HDs. Has this hard drive been replaced at any time? You
may want to look at a Seagate or something to replace it with. Its not
a fixable though.  However, the Harddrive hasn't gone bad, its just a
bug with SMART, and in any other computer it will work fine.

-Tyler