The reason that I will sleep my iMac during boot is that I sometimes will have
to use my keyboard and mouse for other computers and I'll forget that there's
no keyboard or mouse so I'll sleep it during boot. As far as I know, it is the
stock internal drive. Is it safe to replace a hard drive on a G3?
I am sleeping it by pressing the power button. The power light will pulse
amber, but you can tell that the hard drive us pulling power because it will
flicker when the HD revs up.

One mans trash is another mans treasure. In my case, this happens to be with
old Macs :)