On Mar 1, 2010, at 9:46 AM, John Musbach wrote:

Who cares about being rich? If he has a passion for what he's doing,
all he needs to do is charge enough to break even counting the costs
of utilities and

Overhead

whatever wage he has assigned himself.

Commonly known as 'profit'.

Barring a significant amount of luck, breaking even will be a problem with this business model. As a hobby, this is barely sustainable, as a business, I'm not so sure, for all the reasons people have stated.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's passion or entrepreneurial spirit, but look at the subject line, and read the OP. Buying broken or run- down iMacs on Ebay, fixing them and reselling them on Ebay is a extremely low margin business.

Now, chancing upon a surplus auction or such and getting 5 pallet- loads of iMacs out of a school or some thing like that very cheap, that would be a different story...refurbishing those for sale would be an easier to make profitable business.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona