On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Jay T <jasontru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> I have taken apart and put back together a LOT of macs, but I have
> never soldered anything to anything in there and I'm a little nervous
> here.
>
> I recently bought a used iMac G5 1st gen 1.8ghz and it boots up and
> operates quite well for extended periods.  This week it started
> turning itself off spontaneously. So I opened it up and looked to find
> two bulging capacitors next to the heat sink.  Bummer.  I did some
> research and learned that the capacitors can be replaced.  So I bought
> them, and a solder station, and I'm gonna give it a go.  Gotta check
> the PSU as well, I think.
>
> Anyway, does anybody here have any experience with this procedure? Any
> tips or advice would be welcomed.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jason

One rule when soldering.
Heat the wire, not the solder.

The surface you heat with the soldering iron should melt the solder,
not the soldering iron directly.

--
-- NOT sent from an iphone,blackberry,Nokia, or any handheld. --

I'm a PC(x86 AND ppc)
AND I RUN LINUX!!!
Linux is like ice cream. It comes in many flavors and everyone has
their favorite, but we all get the same smile regardless of which we
choose to scoop.
-