On 3/23/10 5:29 AM, Jay T wrote:
Hey guys

I have taken apart and put back together a LOT of macs, but I have
never soldered anything to anything in there and I'm a little nervous
here.

I recently bought a used iMac G5 1st gen 1.8ghz and it boots up and
operates quite well for extended periods.  This week it started
turning itself off spontaneously. So I opened it up and looked to find
two bulging capacitors next to the heat sink.  Bummer.  I did some
research and learned that the capacitors can be replaced.  So I bought
them, and a solder station, and I'm gonna give it a go.  Gotta check
the PSU as well, I think.

Anyway, does anybody here have any experience with this procedure? Any
tips or advice would be welcomed.

Find something else to practice on first. Soldering is something of an art that takes time to develop. If nothing else, try twisting two wires together and soldering them together. If done right they should be very hard to pull apart.

If these are through hole capacitors the solder should form a cone. It shouldn't take more than 10-15 seconds per solder joint. Longer than this and you might damage the cap.

To remove the old ones, heat one side until the solder flows then push the cap away from that side, to pull the lead slightly through the hole. Then repeat on the other lead. Go back and forth this way a few times and you should have them out. If your tools include a solder sucker or solder braid use them to remove any excess solder.

There ought to be some guides on the Web you can find about these. You might want to consider finding someone with some experience to show you the ropes and/or do the job for you. I wouldn't recommend even a job like this for a first timer.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA