GH,

What type of Mac do you have?

I have an intel dual core 2.4 ghz macbook pro with a 300 gigabyte drive interbnally and an external one terabyte.
What version of Ubuntu are you installing?
I am trying to install the newest one.

How far have you gotten in the installation before hitting the brick wall?

What about right away?
I have windows xp to run the linux on through having gotten that on dvd rom and should be able to install that onto the 700 gigabyte linux xp partition.
The installation of such through bootcamp with my external drive not even showing up is a pain in itself, but the to take the next step and imagine beiong able to deal with ubuntu whilst not having a clue as to how to even remotely do so from the mac side of things with pc one not working yet is staggeringly unimagineable.

Are there other files on the additional drive?
Next to none and it's formatted in ms dox format.

Ubuntu is a fairly easy Linux operating system. From what my friends (who are more Linux-enthusiasts than I am) tell me, you might want to try installing Mint, though. It's much easier on the end-user.
Whichever is attainable and runs decent bbs software should be my goal.

Isaac