On Sep 8, 2010, at 3:01 AM, Walter Sheluk wrote:

Excuse me for dropping into this discussion.

In general, please start a new thread for a new question (e.g. by using New Message in Apple Mail) instead of replying.

I have a iMac G3 that has OS 9.2.2 installed by the guy that sold this blue bean.

It is my understanding that i can install OS X on top, right ?

OS X 10.3 "Panther", sure. Maybe 10.4 "Tiger". Definitely not 10.5 "Leopard" or 10.6 "Snow Leopard".

However, the said iMac G3's optical drive can only read CD's not DVD's. It rudely spits out the DVD with no explanation. How rude is that?

It beats crashing.  Don't try plugging in a modern iPod.

And also the iMac G3 hard drive is only 10 GB.

Don't bother. What kind of hardware you need depends of course on what you intend to do with it, but even so, what you have is really not suitable for running OS X in any scenario.

What now ?

Run OS 9 or get a newer machine? For OS X, I suggest getting a Mac with at least an Intel processor. Beyond this it would help to know what you're seeking to do with it.

Josh