On Sep 12, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Walter Sheluk wrote:

On 10-09-09 7:58 PM, Joshua Juran wrote:

What now ?

Run OS 9 or get a newer machine? For OS X, I suggest getting a Mac with at least an Intel processor. Beyond this it would help to know what you're seeking to do with it.

Actually i do have an iMac 2009 edition with a 3.06 GHz processor plus a plethera of 2007 and 2008 iMac's. OK, i admit it i love mac's.

Then I don't need to tell you how much better OS X performs on such hardware since you're already up to speed (so to speak).

This iMac G3 is part of my legacy Mac collection. It is used to run legacy OS 9 midi/audio programs

So even if you got OS X working to your satisfaction, you're still facing a dual-boot scenario.

Unfortunately I can't get this iMac G3 to burn from/to a FireWired burner and for me that's the mystery i would like to solve or at least confirm that it is not doable.

I am in the process of getting a FireWire external hard drive and install Tiger or Leopard which as best as I understand it will allow me to run the FireWired burner and thereby copy/burn the files from the iMac G3's hard drive.

Have you considered punting the issue, and transferring the files to a newer machine over the network and burning them there? OS 9 has no problem connecting to OS X's file sharing server.

Josh