While I've never cared much for the System 7 look, I agree that the Platinum
theme of OS 8 and 9 is great. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Platinum is
my favorite operating system theme of all time. And while the strict OS 8 and 9
Platinum theme may have the problems you describe, I think that if Aqua never
came along Apple probably would have added many of the features they ended up
using in OS X to make use of the larger and higher resolution displays (unless
it is just an optical illusion, I'm pretty sure the menu bar and window title
bars are much larger in OS X. A 1024x768 screen in OS 9 feels like it has the
same amount of room as a 1280x960 screen in OS X).

Some of the GUI modifications I have seen for OS X do a very good job of
modernizing the Platinum theme, with smooth, 3D style gradients and even a
Panther-style glossy transparent rainbow Apple logo. After a long time of
trying out these various patches, however, I finally gave up, because there
aren't really any that fully recreate the look. Some which have Platinum
windows still have a modern menu bar, and vice versa, and if I remember
correctly even the ones that looked pretty good had all three window buttons
together, like Aqua, not on opposite ends like Platinum. It may just be that I
started with Mac OS X in 2004 and never got to use the older operating systems
when they were new, but there is a certain charm to the sharp, clean look of
Platinum.

And also, though apparently many people hated them, I really love the operating
system sounds of OS 8 and OS 9. After using one of my old laptops for a while,
using Snow Leopard seems startlingly quiet, though there is no way that system
sounds could have been transferred to Aqua; all the system sounds would be
drips and splashes, which would get annoying much faster than the simple clicks
of Platinum.

Steven