On Sep 26, 12:44 am, Joshua Juran <jju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only problem is the iMac is running Tiger, for which VLC (at
> least) has dropped support.  Perhaps it's time to install a newer OS X.
> [2]
> [2] I hesitate to say 'upgrade', since I consider differently code-
> named OS X versions to be separate and incompatible products.  Hence
> 'newer'.

Excellent point. Cameron argued very effectively that Tiger was the
last Mac OS that was a good, finely tuned blend of the old and the
new. I personally find myself using mostly Leopard and Snow Leopard
(and unfiltered OS 9, but that's a different story), but I agree: they
are not necessarily better per se (except for one or two new killer
features), just optimized for Intel hardware.

Which brings me to a completely different idea. Optimization for a
specific set of hardware --isn't that the whole point of (any) Mac OS?