I'm considering getting a Blu-Ray drive when I finally get fed up with my
SuperDrive and can afford to do something about it. The cheapest route would of
course be an external DVD drive, but when I took my PowerBook G4 in for some
repairs they said that they charge a standard price for repairs regardless of
parts, something like $250-300 (which was a big plus at the time since I needed
to replace a logic board that can cost $500+ from third parties), and I have
seen some BD-ROM/DVD-RW/CD-RW drives compatible with Mac for around that price.
If I were going to pay that much anyways I would want increased functionality,
and, being the cinephile I am, eventually I will need to start upgrading my
collection of post-2000 DVDs to Blu-Ray (all films made before 2000 I only buy
and watch on LaserDisc) and since I don't have an HDTV and don't plan on buying
one in the near future the Mac would be the only way to watch HD. My reasoning
is that although I don't have any problem with the video quality of DVD and I
don't even have a TV that could make use of the increased definition,
eventually Blu-Ray will eclipse DVD just like DVD eclipsed VHS, and it would be
more cost effective to switch sooner and start buying movies on Blu-Ray so I
have fewer DVDs to replace later on. But I'm not planning on doing that very
soon, and for people who don't have a large number of videos and don't care
about HD that solution wouldn't make much sense.

Steven